Tuesday, May 24, 2011

10 Days in Tucson

I visited my mom in March.  She was not well.  She was not eating right and her ankles were swollen.  We talked to her about getting some help.  She would not see a doctor.  She would not let us get her some help.  She didn't want people in the house.  The night before we left, Bob talked to her about the fact that we thought she had congestive heart failure.  She acknowledge that she knew that.  Bob talked with her about getting some medicine from the doctor.  She absolutely refused.  Bob my sensitive husband, left that night in tears.  We arranged for Merry Maids to come.  Set her up with Interfaith to drive her places and to get her groceries.  She let Merry Maids come out once after we left and then told them they didn't need to come back for 3 months.  She did meet with the lady from Interfaith, but was too weak once she qualified to call and make up a shopping list.

By May, mom was really weak.  One  phone call she finally said that she wanted Charlene and I to take over her bills, life etc.  Charlene and her husband Bill and I, flew into Tucson.  Charlene and Bill came from Akron, Ohio and I flew from Portland.  To get to Portland, Bob drove 7 hours from Brooking, Oregon to take me to the airport.  He and Pralines then had a 7 hour drive back.

The next 10 days, Charlene, Bill and I got mom to start eating.  We had her start on Ensure.  Met with the attorney, banker, and real estate agent.  Heather and Scot came in on Saturday, May 21st to say goodbye to grandma and to help us clean her condo out.  They were live savers for me. By then we were emotional and physically exhausted and their help was just what was needed to finish up. On Tuesday, May 24th, my sister and her husband boarded the plane with mom and she moved to their home in Ohio. 

I am happy to report, Mom is doing much better in Ohio.  She is living with my sister and is eating regularly.  She still will not go to a doctor, but her mind is better because she is getting the nutrient she needed. Thanks for all the prayers.  

My brother in law and sister were so incredible during this time and their willingness to have mom live with them, to me is a gift I can never repay.  I can't thank them enough.  Heather and Scot came in just in time to give us enough energy to finish the job.  Scot stayed till the end, helping me with many loads to the trash and Goodwill, and the final lockup.  I am home now and enjoying again the blessings of being retired and on the road with Bob and Pralines.


No comments:

Post a Comment