Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lady Bird Johnson's Redwood Grove


We started the day by having breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse on Humboldt Bay.  The Samoa Cookhouse is the last surviving cookhouse in the west.  It has continually been in operation for 105 years. You were served a lumber camp style meal featuring generous portions and friendly service. Only one choice for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  We had scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, linked sausage, and hash brown potatoes, plus lumberjack size toast.

We then headed to the north, passed Arcata to the Redwood State and National Park and the Lady Bird Johnson Grove.  I don't think pictures can show the magnificants of these trees. We parked and walked a mile or more loop in this grove of Old Redwoods.  This park was site aside in 1968 by President Nixon in honor of Lady Bird Johnson and her love for the natural beauty of our country.






















After our hike we headed to the Visitor's Center for the Redwood State and National Park, which is right on the bay.   I love the lupines!  One of my favorite children's book The Lupine Lady,  came to mind as I looked at these beautiful flowers

We had to stop for gas and I just wanted to share the price of gas her in Humboldt county.  Even thought the prices are crazy, the beauty of our country is worth it.  Don't you agree!


We headed to the city of Arcada to visit Humboldt University and to have lunch.  The town had a central plaza and we ate lunch at Luke's Place, which was very good.  I had a tomato and mozzarella salad that had balsamic dressing and a great olive paste.  The only problem was the lettuce was weeds and most of you know I don't like weed salads.  I ate the tomatoes and mozzarella balls, but the olive paste tasted so good, I had to eat a few weeds, as I thought licking the paste off probably won't look too good.  That ended a very fun and full day.

1 comment: