Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mark Twain's Home and a Riverboat Ride


On Thursday, Bob and I drove into Hannibal to see Mark Twain's Boyhood Home and Museum.  The museum had Tom Sawyer's home, Huck Fink's home, Becky Thatcher's home, the drug store where Samuel Clemens' father worked.
This is Tom Sawyer's home and the fence that he convinced his friends to pay him to paint.


This is Becky Thatcher's home.  Her father was a judge, so it is much bigger than Tom Sawyer's home.  It has not been remodeled inside, but is in the process, so you can't go inside.


This is the drug store.  It had a lot of items that would have been in a drug store of that era, including a display of eye glasses.


I am including this picture for my friend Linda Clemens.  You'll  notice the sign above the store is for Mrs. Clemens shoppes.  It made me think of you Linda.
I purchased a copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I know I read this book years ago, but my interest was pecked, so I thought it deserved a reread.  I was right.  It was great, and probably had a different slant because I am now an adult.  
  We headed back to our car to drive to the Mark Twain Riverboat for our scheduled trip.  The trip was lovely.  Weather was comfortable and the river was very high.  There was a lighthouse in the hills.  We saw several barges on the river and learned a little history on our trip. After our ride, we went to Breadeaux Pizza in downtown Hannibal.

No comments:

Post a Comment