Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kayaking the Verde River

All summer, Bob and I have been talking about kayaking.  Several of our friends who full-time have inflatable kayaks and I have been wanting to try floating the river.  Several years ago, when Bob and I were in Hawaii, I wanted to kayak and he told me I was too old and it was too strenuous.  Well, that was about 5 years ago and I finally talked him into a float.

It was an hour drive to the Verde River.  On the way, we drove down Salt Mine Rd.


Have you ever seen salt like this?  We hadn't.  At one point there were 400 people working at this Salt Mine. 

We made it to the river and were transported by van to the spot where we took off.


Hat, sun glasses, sun screen, crackers and water and we were set to go.


There were twelve in our group.  We were the oldest by at least twenty years. Two families from Scottsdale and four young college students from Georgetown University.


Here is proof that I can go down the river in a straight line.  Now, this didn't happen all the time.
I spent time spinning, in the weeds and under trees.


Bob had the camera, so I finally got it and took a shot of him.  He did very well.  I wanted to get a tandem kayak, so Bob could paddle and I could float.  He said if I wanted to Kayak, I needed my own Kayak.  I did notice that the college students had tandem kayka's.  I commented that they must not be married because they still shared.  And of course I was right.  Really great group to float with down the river.


We both really had a great time.  Toward the end, we were both tired and glad that we didn't have to deflate the kayak and pack up.  We just drug ourselves up to our car and drove home for a well deserved nap.


Thought you'd like a current picture of my grandchildren.  They were at the pumpkin patch!
Only 25 days till we are with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment