Sunday, October 30, 2011

Tubac Revisited

Bob and I drove down to Tubac this morning.  We have been coming to this small town, about 1,000 people, for about 25 years.  Tubac is an art community.  The Art Colony of Tubac was established in 1752 as a Spanish presidio (fort).  Working artists' studios now surround the grounds which once served as home for a Spanish military garrison.  


Tubac Presidio State Historic Park is located in the village's Old Town, this is Arizona's First State Park.


This is St Ann's Church, still in use today.

We started out our day by having lunch at Shelby's Bistro.  This is our view.  Shelby's is over the bridge behind the Crow's Nest.  It used to be next to Karin Newby's Gallery but KNG has moved and is opening a new large gallery down the street.


This is the walkway over to Karin's new gallery.  It was not open yet.  Was scheduled to open November 5th, during the Fall Art Walk.


The front yard of the gallery had a large sculpture garden.  One of the sculptures was of my favorite animal in Tucson the Antelope Jackrabbit.  We see them nightly at Catalina State Park where we are staying.  I just love them!




Creative Coyote is my favorite store in Tubac.  Over the years, I have bought a lot of jewelry here.  It has been in two different locations. Moving it to it's own building in 1989.




This is La Paloma and another favorite.  It has lots of pots.




Some of the profits go to an orphanage in Central America.
I call this Tubac revisited because it has been several years since Bob and I have been down here.  It used to be a regular stop before the Christmas on visits to Moms.  Now that mom has passed away and we are in the process of selling her condo, I don't know if we will be back again.  Maybe I'm wrong but I wanted to document a few memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment