Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Kayaking and a costly spill

Monday and Tuesday we had some down time and Bob did some birding.  When you live in your motor home, there are normal life things that need to be done.  We wanted them finished up before our friends came on Thursday.  We went shopping at Walmart and Sam's Club. Bob went on a couple of bird walks with the rangers at the park.  He wanted to see a Painted Bunting and was able to see one the first day.


 We did laundry at the most expensive laundry we have ever come across in two years of traveling.  Often there are laundries at the campground.  Skidaway had a laundry but only 2 washers and 1 dryer, so we went in hunt of a laundry. Usually our laundry costs $1.50 a load to wash and $.25 to $.50 for 15 minutes to dry.  At this laundry you had to buy a card for $5.00 just to use the laundry.  Each load was $5.99 a load and drying was $.25 for 6 minutes.  We will not go back, but once we were there we just got the laundry done.

On Wednesday, we decided to go kayaking with Moon River Kayaks, that took off right outside our campground.  There was only one other couple and their son and Bob and I.  We were a little worried about Bob kayaking but he did better than I did.  We kayaked for 2 hours and 30 minutes down the marshes and rivers of this low country.  We saw lots of Great Egrets, Ospreys, and Great Blue Heron.


We saw crabs caught in commercial crab traps and oyster beds. The trap on the second row on the left is the type of trap that we saw used.  Fish was placed in the center chamber and the crab come in attracted by the fish and then they can't get out.



Along the shore, were oyster beds.  We had gone out at 9:30 am, so it was low tide.


Now let me give you a disclaimer.  All the pictures in this blog, I did not take.  I use my IPhone 4S to take pictures.  Well, when we stopped on an island, getting out of the kayak, I fell in the water along with my phone.  Water is not good for cell phones.  It never charged again.  Worse yet, there was not Apple Store in Savannah.  I had to wait till Charleston, the next Monday to get a new phone.  Bob had just bought me with phone at Christmas.  I had no insurance, so replacement was a costly experience.  I do have insurance now and can get a new phone 2 times if it goes in water again, in the next 2 years.  Also there is now available a waterproof case that still allows pictures to be taken.  Wish I would have known that earlier, but......

No comments:

Post a Comment